It is a good and rewarding feeling when you achieve what you set out to achieve, when your dream becomes a reality. To attain success is no little task. It is a call that tests one’s character. So it is people with strength and courage who end up being successful.
In this post, I want to share with you what I consider the six essentials to success. They are as follows:
- SELF-AWARENESS: It was Lao Tzu who said, “He who knows others is wise; he who knows himself is enlightened.” The very first essential on your journey to success is self-awareness. I have discovered that a lot of people do not know themselves. Self-awareness is having a fair knowledge of who you are. It involves having a clear perception of your personality. You get to know your strengths, weaknesses, emotions, motivation and thoughts. Self-awareness is the first step in creating the life you desire. You will have difficulty making the changes you desire in your life if you are not self-aware.
- VISION: Following self-awareness is the creation of a vision. It has to be ensured that the vision is one’s vision and not someone else’s. This is what the first step, self-awareness, avoids. One who is aware of himself is able to create a vision that will motivate him. Your vision should not be based on your current circumstance otherwise it will limit you. Your vision should dare you. It should however be realistic. Write your vision down when you have formed one.
- PLAN: The vision is big hence it has to be broken down into a plan. In a plan you have specific goals. The attainment of a particular goal should get you closer to the achievement of another goal, on and on until you realize your vision. Time should be set for each goal. You can have a goal for the next six months, three months, and one month. Your plan should be in black and white.
- ACTION: Except you take action, every other step lead to nowhere. It is action that enables you to achieve your set goals. Ensure that you take action daily to achieve a particular target for the day.
- EVALUATION: We grow daily and become more aware; hence, we become more knowledgeable. One, three, six months from now, you are likely to acquire knowledge that will prompt you to look at your plan again. At this stage, your plan may need a little tweaking. It is important that evaluation is carried out periodically so that one is not so rigid and hence not flexible to adapt to changing situation. An extremely strong wind can uproot a tree but the shrub that bends as a result of the wind survives it.
- PERSEVERANCE: “I am convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance,” said Steve Jobs. That is to show how important perseverance is not only in entrepreneurship but also in life. I have asked myself what is it that can make one persevere despite a difficult situation. I am convinced that one with a “Why” will persevere. The “Why” is the purpose. One who has a worthy purpose for a particular vision will find himself pushing through when times are hard. Let no one kid himself, it is going to be difficult and the work will be hard but your purpose will fortify your will and spur you on. “I want to help people find meaning in life” is better than “I want to be a motivational speaker”.
One who is careful to put these essentials into practice will one day achieve his intention and that is what we call success.